[Numpy-discussion] np.loadtxt : yet a new implementation...

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Dec 1 14:47:06 CST 2008

Hi Pierre

2008/12/1 Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com>:
> * `genloadtxt` is the base function that makes all the work. It
> outputs 2 arrays, one for the data (missing values being substituted
> by the appropriate default) and one for the mask. It would go in
> np.lib.io

I see the code length increased from 200 lines to 800.  This made me
wonder about the execution time: initial benchmarks suggest a 3x
slow-down.  Could this be a problem for loading large text files?  If
so, should we consider keeping both versions around, or by default
bypassing all the extra hooks?

Regards
Stéfan