[Numpy-discussion] [F2PY] Fortran call fails in IDLE / PyScripter

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Dec 2 14:01:01 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 08:26, Christophe Chappet
<Christophe.Chappet@onera.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I compile the followinq code using "f2py -c --fcompiler=gnu95
> --compiler=mingw32" -m hello
>       subroutine AfficheMessage(szText)
>       character szText*100
>       write (*,*) szText
>       return
>       end
>
> Using python console :
> Hello")
> works fine !
>
> I do the same in the program window of IDLE and :
> - no message is displayed.
> - the shell restart (or IDLE crah if launched with -n)
>
> Same problem with PyScripter IDE. (crash).

What version of gfortran are you using (i.e. exactly which binary did
you download)?

I'm not sure about the crash, but I can say that you will never get
the output from a write statement inside the Fortran code to go to the
IDLE prompt or PyScripter's window. They are not real terminals and do
not capture text going to the process's real STDOUT file pointer. They
simply change the sys.stdout object to capture text printed from
Python.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."