[Numpy-discussion] Py3k and numpy

Thu Dec 4 12:57:23 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the Python 3000 final was released today... is there
>> any sense of how long it will take to get numpy working under 3k?  I
>> would imagine it'll be a lot to adapt given the low-level change, but
>> is the work already in progress?
>

> I read that announcement too. My feeling is that we can only support one
> branch at a time, i.e., the python 2.x or python 3.x series. So the easiest
> path to 3.x looked to be waiting until python 2.6 was widely distributed,
> making it the required version, doing the needed updates to numpy, and then
> using the automatic conversion to python 3.x. I expect f2py, nose, and other
> tools will also need fixups. Guido suggests an approach like this for those
> needing to support both series and I really don't see an alternative unless
> someone wants to fork numpy ;)

Looks like python 2.6 just went into Fedora rawhide, so it should be in the
May Fedora 11 release. I expect Ubuntu and other leading edge Linux distros
to have it about the same time. This probably means numpy needs to be
running on python 2.6 by early Spring. Dropping support for earlier versions
of python might be something to look at for next Fall. So I'm guessing about
a year will be the earliest we might have Python 3.0 support.

Chuck