[Numpy-discussion] in(np.nan) on python 2.6

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Thu Dec 4 14:24:21 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Raise a ValueError (even in 2.5, therefore risking to break something)
>
> +1

+1

I'm not yet a serious user of numpy/scipy, but when debugging the
discrete distributions, it took me a while to figure out that some
mysteriously appearing zeros were nans that were silently converted
during casting to int.

In matlab, I encode different types of missing values (in the data) by
numbers that I know are not in my dataset, e.g -2**20, -2**21,... but
that depends on the dataset. (hand made nan handling, before data is
cleaned). When I see then a "weird" number, I know that there is a
problem, if it the nan is zero, I wouldn't know if it's a missing
value or really a zero.

Josef