[Numpy-discussion] ANNOUNCE: EPD with Py2.5 version 4.0.30002 RC2 available for testing

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Fri Dec 5 23:17:58 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:12 AM, Gael Varoquaux <
> gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

>> home
>>
>> > My guess is that EPD is only 32 bits installer, so that you run it on
>> > WOW (Windows in Windows) on windows 64, which is kind of slow (but
>> > usable for most tasks).
>>
>> On top of that, Vista is not supported with EPD. I had a chat with the
>> EPD guys about that, and they say it does work with Vista... most of the
>> time. They don't really understand the failures, and haven't had time to
>> investigate much, because so far professionals and labs are simply
>> avoiding Vista. Hopefully someone from the EPD team will give a more
>> accurate answer
>> soon.
>

> Thanks Gael and David. I would avoid windows altogether if I could. When I
> bought a new laptop I had the option to pay extra to downgrade to XP pro, I
> should have done some more research before I settled for Vista. In the
> meantime I'll borrow an XP machine when I need to build python package
> installers for windows.
>
> Hopefully a solution can be found at some point for python and Vista.
> Losing compatibility on such a major platform will become increasingly
> problematic.

I just wanted to follow up, it looks like the Vista installation issues have
been ironed out with the release of python-2.6.1. I was able to install
32-bit python-2.6.1 from the msi file distributed at python.org in a
straight-forward manner, no need to mess around with user account controls
or other such nonsense. I even have setuptools working with python 2.6, I
built and installed a setuptools msi without much trouble (distutils just
doesnt like setuptools version numbering).

One pleasant surprise: python-2.6 is built with visual C++ 2008, which has a
free express edition available so building python extension modules might be
a little more convenient than it was in the past.

Darren