[Numpy-discussion] how do I delete unused matrix to save the memory?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Dec 9 20:45:00 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 20:40, Vagabond_Aero <vagabondaero@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the same problem.  I tried the del command below, but foundon that it
> removes the names of the ndarrays from memory, but does not free up the
> memory on my XP system (python 2.5.2, numpy 1.2.1).  Regular python objects
> release their memory when I use the del command, but it looks like the
> ndarray objects do not.

It's not guaranteed that the regular Python objects return memory to
the OS, either. The memory should be reused when Python allocates new
memory, though, so I suspect that this is not the problem that Frank
is seeing.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."