[Numpy-discussion] numpy.random and multiprocessing

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Thu Dec 11 15:06:41 CST 2008

> Create RandomState objects and use those. This is a best practice
> whether you are using multiprocessing or not. The module-level
> functions really should only be used for noodling around in IPython.

Are we guaranteed that two RandomStates will produce two independent
sequences? If not, RandomState cannot be used for this particular purpose.
Cf. what the creators of MT wrote about dynamically creating MT generators
at http://www.math.sci.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~m-mat/MT/DC/dc.html

Sturla Molden