[Numpy-discussion] numpy.random and multiprocessing

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Dec 11 15:11:17 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 13:06, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:

>> Create RandomState objects and use those. This is a best practice
>> whether you are using multiprocessing or not. The module-level
>> functions really should only be used for noodling around in IPython.
>
> Are we guaranteed that two RandomStates will produce two independent
> sequences?

No.

> If not, RandomState cannot be used for this particular purpose.

For small numbers of processes and not-huge runs, I think it's
reasonable. You can also implement skipping fairly straightforwardly.
If you're in Python, the wasted time is probably a small part of the
inefficiencies.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."