[Numpy-discussion] Singular Matrix problem with Matplitlib in Numpy (Windows - AMD64)

George gwg@emss.co...
Wed Dec 17 03:52:36 CST 2008

David Cournapeau <cournape <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:50 AM, George Goussard <gwg <at> emss.co.za> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >

> > I have been battling with the following error for the past week. The output
> > from the terminal is:
> >

> What does numpy.test() says ? Did you use an external blas/lapack when
> you built numpy for AMD64
>
> David

Hi David.

I accidentally created a new posting previously. I have spent the last month
trying to track down this bug. I am trying to compile Numpy and Matplotlib on
Windows XP 64-bit. I am using the Visual Studio 2005 compiler. Everything
compiles without a problem. However running matplotlib etc. gave me a lot of
problems:

1. The interaction was terrible. It didn't draw anything and the console had a
lot trace output with regard to singular matrices etc. Like you said, I am using
an external library called Intel MKL and I decided to swap this with AMD ACML.
Then the interaction was a lot better and no trace on the console of singular
matrices etc.

2. Using both libraries there are problems with the plotting. In both cases the
graphs are broken. It starts plotting the curve and then it stops with a section
of white space and then some more of the curve etc. The same with the grid lines
etc. In other words there is just something broken.

I have decided to pursue this bug. I would really like to get Numpy working on
AMD64. I ran the test you advised and the tests passed. However I have traced
the problem to the file lines.py of matplotlib. There in a function set_xdata
and set_ydata(also set_data) there is a line like x = np.asarray or y =
np.asarray. My data before that line is fine, but straight after the line is
executed the data is broken and garbage.

I have debugged some more but I am in deep (murky) waters, but I have also ran
out of ideas. If anybody has some more suggestions, please post them.