[Numpy-discussion] Recent umath changes

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Dec 18 22:12:38 CST 2008

Hi Chuck,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> The undefs need to be there when the functions are defined by numpy, so they
> only need to be in the same #if block as those definitions. I moved them out
> to cover the function declarations also, but if those are put in their own
> block for SPARC then they aren't needed.

But then it just hides the problem instead of solving it. If we are in
the #if bloc and the symbol is defined, it is a bug in the
configuration stage, it should be dealt there - if it is a bug in the
toolchain (say the symbol is in the library, but not declared in the
header), then it should be dealt with for that exact platform only.

It is not nit-picking, because the later way means it won't break any
other platform :) It still should be used sparingly, though (the SPARC
problem is a good example where it should be used).

cheers,

David