[Numpy-discussion] missing doc dir in the official tarball

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Fri Dec 19 16:30:05 CST 2008

Hi,

while packaging the new version of numpy, I realized that it is
missing a documentation. I just checked with Stefan on Jabber and he
thinks
it should be rather a trivial fix. Do you Jarrod think you could
please release a new tarball with the doc directory?

The problem is that debian (and I guess other distros as well) has one
source package (e.g. numpy tarball + debian files) and it creates
python-numpy, python-numpy-dbg and python-numpy-doc binary packages
from it. There should definitely be a doc package. So if the tarball
is missing documentation, we need to repackage it. Since the doc is
only in svn (right?), we would have to write some scripts to first svn
checkout the doc, unpack the official tarball, include the doc, pack
it and that would be our tarball.

So we thought with Stefan that maybe a simpler solution is just to fix
the ./setup sdist (or how you create the tarball in numpy) to include
documentation and be done with it.

What do you think? If you are busy, I can look at it how to fix the
numpy tarball creation.

Thanks,
Ondrej