[Numpy-discussion] Thoughts on persistence/object tracking in scientific code

Mon Dec 22 18:39:54 CST 2008

Hi,

This mailing list is full of people spending their time writing
non-trivial numerical code. This is why I would like to share my
interrogations on a code smell that I notice a lot in my numerical code
that revolves around persisting to disk often, and the mess that results.
It is a bit hard to describe and it has been on my mind for a couple of
months. I have finally written a blog post in an attempt to share my
thoughts: http://gael-varoquaux.info/blog/?p=83

Pointing to a blog post on a mailing list seems to me almost rude, and I
hope you'll forgive, but I'd love any feedback. It seems to me I am
missing a pattern, or simply some insight on a recurrent problem.

Cheers,

Gaël