[Numpy-discussion] Request for review: dynamic_cpu_branch

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Dec 22 23:35:58 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 23:15, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Charles R Harris wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com <mailto:charlesr.harris@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> It's pretty easy to determine byte order at run time. Maybe another
>> configuration test is in order...
>
> Yes, but that's not enough, since some macro defined in the header uses
> the endianness, and thus are hardcoded. If we could remove those macro,
> then it is definitely a better solution.

I think he meant that it can be discovered at runtime in general, not
at numpy-run-time, so we can write a small C program that can be run
at numpy-build-time to add another entry to config.h.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco