[Numpy-discussion] svn 4777 fails to build with icc

Sat Feb 9 05:17:40 CST 2008

rex wrote:
> After doing the necessary fix for distutils, svn4774 builds with
> gcc, but trying to build with icc with:
>
> python setup.py config --compiler=intel build_clib --compiler=intel build_ext --compiler=intel install > inst.log
>
> fails with:
>
> Running from numpy source directory.
> /usr/local/src/numpy4777/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1341: UserWarning:
>     Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
>     the ATLAS environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
> /usr/local/src/numpy4777/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1350: UserWarning:
>     Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
>     the BLAS environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(BlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
> /usr/local/src/numpy4777/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1353: UserWarning:
>     Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) sources not found.
>     Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas_src]) or by setting
>     the BLAS_SRC environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(BlasSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
> /usr/local/src/numpy4777/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1248: UserWarning:
>     Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
>     the ATLAS environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
> /usr/local/src/numpy4777/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1259: UserWarning:
>     Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack]) or by setting
>     the LAPACK environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(LapackNotFoundError.__doc__)
> /usr/local/src/numpy4777/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1262: UserWarning:
>     Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) sources not found.
>     Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack_src]) or by setting
>     the LAPACK_SRC environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(LapackSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
>
> site.cfg is:
>
> [DEFAULT]
> library_dirs=/opt/intel/mkl/10.0.1.014/lib/32
> include_dirs=/opt/intel/mkl/10.0.1.014/include
>
> [mkl]
> library_dirs = /opt/intel/mkl/10.0.1.014/lib/32/
> lapack_libs = mkl_lapack
>
> [lapack_src]
> libraries=mkl_lapack,mkl,guide
>
> OS is Debian Etch 4.0
>
> I've built hundreds of programs from source over the years,
> including many versions of Numpy and Scipy. NOTHING has ever been
> as frustrating as these two.
Then, with all your respect, you have not built many complicated
softwares. On debian, you can install all the dependencies with

sudo apt-get install gcc g77 atlas3-base-dev python-dev

And then build numpy and scipy using python setup.py install. This has
always worked for me.
> I often spend days trying to
> build a new release. Sometimes it works. More often, it does not,
> especially Scipy. I even switched from SUSE to Debian in the hope
> that it would help. It did not.
>
> I suggest that efforts to produce a product that ordinary 150
> IQ mortals can install rather than add new features would grow the
> user population faster. For example, distutils has been broken for
> months for Intel MKL. I've posted 3x about it now.
A non open source software keeps changing the options to link to it, and
you complain to us ? I don't understand the logic here. Complain to
Intel instead.

The fact that building numpy/scipy with "exotic" softwares is at all
possible is already a big service. I mean, try linking some blas/lapack
libraries to matlab, and see if it is easier than with numpy or scipy.

David