[Numpy-discussion] Setting contents of buffer for array object

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Feb 10 20:07:15 CST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 7:17 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah, I see. You definitely do not want to reassign the .data buffer in
> > this case. An out= parameter does not reassign the memory location
> > that the array object points to. It should use the allocated memory
> > that was already there. It shouldn't "copy" anything at all;
> > otherwise, "median(x, out=out)" is no better than "out[:] =
> > median(x)". Personally, I don't think that a function should expose an
> > out= parameter unless if it can make good on that promise of memory
> > efficency.
>
> I agree - but there are more efficient median algorithms out there
> which can make use of the memory efficiently.  I wanted to establish
> the call signature to allow that.  I don't feel strongly about it
> though.

I say add the out= parameter when you use such an algorithm. But if
you like, just use slice assignment for now.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco