[Numpy-discussion] New bug with "setup,py develop"

Mon Feb 11 21:42:33 CST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 7:10 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008 5:40 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Feb 11, 2008 1:21 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've just updated the SVN trunk to get the latest numscons merge.
> > > Something broke the support I put in for the setuptools "develop"
> > > command. In order to make sure that setuptools' "develop" works with
> > > numpy.distutils' "build_src", we override the "develop" command to
> > > reinitialize the "build_src" command to add the --inplace option. This
> > > used to work as of r4772, but now any Fortran Extensions have the
> > > generated sources added twice. This causes links to fail since the
> > > same symbol shows up twice.
> > >

> > While we're talking build, how do I set the compiler flags? Numpy here
> > always compiles with -march=i386, which seems a bit conservative. My
> > environment flags are also ignored, but I assume there is someway of
> getting
> > the compile to behave.
> Well, you assumed wrong :)

For some reason I was hoping you would pipe up  :0) Yeah, that in itself is
a good reason for trying something like scons. I note that with -O2
-finline-functions, or -O3, I can knock almost 30% off the string sort
times. That's a lot better than I can do fooling around with the code.

It is one of the reasons why I started
> working on scons support. It is extremely ackward to control
> compilation flags with the python distutils from stdlib, and by design
> (flags are added at several different locations, which depend on the
> platform, and understanding the exact logic is beyond mere mortal
> capability).

Thanks

Chuck