[Numpy-discussion] C Extensions, CTypes and "external code & libraries"

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000@yahoo....
Wed Feb 13 09:14:04 CST 2008

--- David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Oh, I may have misunderstood what you are trying to
> do then. You just
> want to call a shared library from another shared
> library ? This is
> possible on any platform supporting shared library
> (including but not
> limited to mac os x, windows, linux, most not
> ancient unices).
[cut]

David,

First, thanks very much for all the information.  I am
still digesting it, but you gave a clear explanation
about the difference between shared and dynamic
libraries on the Mac.

I tried some of your compile/like commands, but the
Mac gcc did not understand some things like  -Bstatic
and -shared.  It seems to want to make bundles. I
guess your code was a Linux version which the Mac
doesn't like.   But encouraged by your help, I got the
following make file to work:

# ---- Library make ---------------------------
mysharedlib.so:  mysharedlib.o  mysharedlib.mak
	gcc -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o
mysharedlib.so  mysharedlib.o \
		fcnlib.a

# ---- gcc C compile ------------------
mysharedlib.o:  mysharedlib.c mysharedlib.h
mysharedlib.mak
	gcc -c mysharedlib.c -o mysharedlib.o

In the above fcnlib.a is a simple static library I
made before using the above make.  This created the
shared library mysharedlib.so which I imported and
handled with CTypes.  Calling a function in fcnlib.a
from python worked.

A possible downside is that the shared library
contains *all* of the fcnlib.  I examined it using "nm
mysharedlib.so".  That showed that all the functions
of fcnlib.a were present in mysharedlib.so even though
the function in mysharedlib.c only called one function
of fcnlib.a.  I don't know how much of a burden this
will impose at run time if do this with GSL. It would
be nice to only pick up the stuff I need. But at least
I have workable approach.

Thanks for your help.  Comments welcome.

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.