[Numpy-discussion] Building a static libnumpy

Jussi Enkovaara jussi.enkovaara@csc...
Thu Feb 14 05:17:31 CST 2008

Jussi Enkovaara wrote:
> It is of course very cumbersome as one has to specify all the modules which are
> written in C before compiling the actual interpreter. I think that the whole
> procedure cannot be automatized, but it should be possible to have distutils to
> create the static library and produce maybe the lines to be included in
> Modules/Setup. Thus, one should first create a minimal interpreter, then build the
> necessary extensions statically with this minimal interpreter and distutils, and
> at the end create the full featured python interpreter.
>
> At some point I tried to look the distutils source but I did not have the time to
> understand it properly so that I could make the necessary modifications.

In case some one is interested in using numpy in systems without dynamic
libraries, I have made some notes in our wiki
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/gpaw/Platforms_and_Architectures#louhi-csc-fi

The tricky part is actually building the special python interpreter, after minor
changes to distutils one can create static libraries of all numpy c-extensions
with normal "python setup.py build".

Best regards,
Jussi Enkovaara