[Numpy-discussion] Help with user-defined data type

Neal Becker ndbecker2@gmail....
Mon Feb 18 05:43:11 CST 2008

Robert Kern wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2008 3:27 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are there any examples of user-defined data types that I could get hold
>> of?
>
> I think you may be the first. The problems you encounter may well be
> bugs rather than problems with your code.

There is mention in several places about 'inheritance' from existing scalar
objects.  What is this about?  Why would I want my type to inherit from an
existing type, and what does this imply about numpy handling of my type?