[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] numscons 0.4.1. Building numpy with MS compiler + g77 works !

Tue Feb 19 03:31:56 CST 2008

2008/2/19, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:

> Matthieu Brucher wrote:
> >
> > If you use an installed ATLAS/MKL/... library, I don't know where is
> > the problem wit linking with them :|
>

> Atlas is not a problem, because if you know how to build a dll for
> ATLAS, you know how to handle environment variable problems. It is not a
> purely technical problem, but a combination of both cultural and
> technical. I know that if I tell you, Matthieu, to put you library path
> in your path, you won't tell me it does not work if the PATH is changed
> or something similar. But that's not how most windows users work in my
> experience.

Now that you provide an installer for Atlas, it may become the same problem
as MKL, can't it ?

As for the problem: if you use PATH for dll, you need:
>     - to use PATH inside scons, that is polluting the build environment
> with a variable you cannot control at all.
>     - to add the path of the used libraries into the user environment.
> I can imagine many things going wrong in this scenario. And guess who a
> user will complain to if something is messed up ? :)

Yes, they will complain to you for sure, but I can't see where dynamic
libraries can become a problem :
- are they numpy dlls ? is so there is a problem, I agree with you
- are they external dlls ? If so, the installer must have set up everything
so that everything works, but this is where people bark at the wrong people
: the users of the dll and not the installers.

You seem to indicate that the problem is the last dlls, am I correct ?

Matthieu
--
French PhD student