[Numpy-discussion] mixed mode arithmetic

Neal Becker ndbecker2@gmail....
Wed Feb 20 06:16:44 CST 2008

I've been browsing the numpy source.  I'm wondering about mixed-mode
arithmetic on arrays.  I believe the way numpy handles this is that it
never does mixed arithmetic, but instead converts arrays to a common type.
Arguably, that might be efficient for a mix of say, double and float.
Maybe not.

But for a mix of complex and a scalar type (say, CDouble * Double), it's
clearly suboptimal in efficiency.

So, do I understand this correctly?  If so, is that something we should
improve?