[Numpy-discussion] matrix wart

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Fri Feb 22 09:34:47 CST 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, "Travis E. Oliphant" apparently wrote:
> The point is that a matrix object is a
> matrix object and not a generic container.

I see the point a bit differently:
there are costs and benefits to the abandonment
of a specific and natural behavior of containers.
(The kind of behavior that arrays have.)
The costs outweigh the benefits.

> stop believing that M[0][0] and M[0,0] should return the
> same thing.   There is nothing in Python that requires
> this.

I never suggested there is.
My question "how to guess?" does not imply that.

My point is: the matrix object could have more intuitive
behavior with no loss of functionality.

Or so it seems to me.
See my other post.

Cheers,