[Numpy-discussion] matrix wart

Fri Feb 22 21:05:32 CST 2008

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Christopher Barker apparently wrote:
>> because that's the whole point of a Matrix object in the
>> first place.
>
> Do you really believe that?  As phrased??

yes -- the matrix object is about style, not functionality -- not that
style isn't important

> (Out of curiosity: do you use matrices?)

No. In fact, that's one of the reasons I was overjoyed to find Numeric
after using Matlab for along time -- I hardly ever need linear algebra,
what I need is n-d arrays.

So, yes, I should just shut up and leave the discussion to those that
really want to use them.

I will note, however, that in reading this list for years, I haven't
found that many people really do want matrices -- they are asked for a
lot by Matlab converts, then often the users find that they can more
easily do what they want with arrays after all.

Maybe that's because the Matrix API needs improvement, so I guess what
we really need is someone that really wants them to champion the cause.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax