[Numpy-discussion] FORTRAN compiler detection

Tue Feb 26 21:10:52 CST 2008

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> You need to use it in your case because you are linking against lapack
> and blas that were built with a Fortran compiler.  The Fortran compiler
> is only used in the link step of lapack_lite.so

If for some reasons, Christopher does not want to use fortran compiler
at all, I just want to mention that on solaris (and linux), it should be
possible to link with BLAS/LAPACK without a fortran compiler, if using
sun performance libraries, since they do not depend on fortran at all
(but do provide fortran calling convention).

But it is certainly easier to use a fortran compiler, since this
configuration is supported out of the box.

cheers,

David