[Numpy-discussion] PCA on set of face images

Peter Skomoroch peter.skomoroch@gmail....
Fri Feb 29 13:56:20 CST 2008

Here is the page I referenced for the octave version ... it includes
examples very similar to what you want.  I will be posting a very similar
example in Python later this month.

I don't have any Python code on hand for the Petland paper, but I think
matlab example should be easy to translate to scipy/matplotlib using the
montage function:

load faces.mat
%Form covariance matrix
C=cov(faces');
%build eigenvectors and eigenvalues
[E,D] = eig(C);
%sort based on eigenvalue
[B,index] = sortrows(D');
E2=E';
E2(index,:)';
eigensorted=E2(index,:)';
%show  eigenfaces
clear Z;
for i=1:length(eigensorted)
   Z(:,:,1,i)=reshape(eigensorted(:,i)-1.5*min(min(min(eigensorted))),
19,19);
end
montage(Z)
%show top 16 eigenfaces

clear Z;
for i=1:16
   Z(:,:,1,i)=reshape(eigensorted(:,i)-min(min(min(eigensorted))), 19,19);
end
montage(Z)

--
Peter N. Skomoroch