[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Fri Jan 4 12:45:06 CST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 5:56 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008 1:30 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I like Mercurial and use it a lot, but I'm not convinced we have enough
> > developers and code to justify the pain of changing the VCS at this time.
>
> I don't understand the number of developers argument: on most of the
> projects I am working on, I am the only developer, and I much prefer
> bzr to svn, although for reasons which are not really relevant to a
> project like numpy/scipy.
>
> > SVN g!enerally works well and has good support on Windows through tortoise.
> That's where I don't agree: I don't think svn works really well. As
> long as you use it as an history backup, it works ok, but that's it.
> The non functional merge makes branching almost useless, reverting
> back in time is extremely cumbersome,
> > Mercurial also has tortoise support these days, but I haven't ever used it
> > and can't comment on it. In fact, I've never even used Mercurial on windows,
> > perhaps someone can relate their experiences with it. I suppose a shift
> > might be justified if there is a lot of branch merging and such in our
> > future. Anyone know what folks are working in branches?
> Well, I started this discussion because of the scikits discussion. A
> typical use of branches is for sandboxes: it makes a lot of sense to
> use branches instead of sandboxes. Also, when branching actually
> works, you really start using many branches: I do it all the time on
> all my projects, and I am the only developer on most of them. It means
> that you commit smaller changes (because comitting does not mean
> makeing your changes available to the trunk), and instead of
> submitting one big changeset, you actually submit a serie of small
> changes. This really makes a big difference IMHO. Also, things like
> log, blame are actually usable, since they are much faster on DVCS.
>
> For something like scipy (less for numpy), where many people develop
> different things, I think it really makes a lot of sense to use a
> DVCS. I actually think scipy to be more distributed in nature than
> many open source projects (again, this is much less true for numpy,
> IMHO).

David is 100% right, I fully support this. I would be just repeating
what he says.

Charles actually said another point in favor of Mercurial - it works
on Windows (at least people say so), while git not that much (at least
people say so). I never use Windows myself, so I don't know.

Subversion sucks not only in the merge thing, but especially when
providing patches. Because most of the people don't have access to the
repo,
and not being able to commit locally (=work incrementally), is just
bad. So, I use mercurial even when providing patches for svn.

Ondrej