[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Jan 4 15:05:45 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 5:36 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> A quick google for benchmarks show that a year ago,  hg was a bit faster and
> generated smaller repositories than bzr, but I don't think the difference is
> enough to matter.

Forget a year ago, because as far as bzr is concerned, they got much
faster (several times faster for common operations like
commit/branch/log/merge).

> but Linus was definitely focused on speed, which is easy to understand if
> you look at the churn in the kernel. Anyway, I suspect that, technically,
> both bzr and hg are suitable choices. I'm not sure esr correct that it is
> unlikely that both are going to last long term, bazaar (the ancestor of bzr)
> is used for Ubuntu. But the two are similar and fill the same niche, so I
> expect that one or the other will become dominant in the wild. And hg seems
> to have the advantage of a head start and not being as tightly tied to
> Linux.

bzr is not tied to linux. They always have win32 binaries, TortoiseBzr
has a longer history than the mercurial one, and as said previously,
one developer of bzr at least is mainly a windows user. I don't want
to sound like I defend bzr, because honestly, I don't care about which
one is used, but so far, the arguments I heard against bzr do not
reflect my experience at all.

One thing that bzr tries hard is the general UI, and the explicit
support for several workflows (with moderately advanced concepts such
as shared repositories, bound branches: for example, with a branch A
bound to branch B, a commit is first pushed on branch B, and if
successfull, applied to A; for centralized worflows, this makes things
easier). I honestly do not know if this is significant. bzr claims its
merge capability is better: I do not know if this is true, or if that
matters at all.

I would rather discuss those than "bzr is tied to linux", because I
don't think they are based on accurate or recent informations. As I
said, I have bzr imports of scipy and scikits, and I could easily to
the same for hg, make them available for everybody to play with.

David