[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Jan 4 16:16:04 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 6:36 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008 2:05 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 5, 2008 5:36 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >

> > > A quick google for benchmarks show that a year ago,  hg was a bit faster
> and
> > > generated smaller repositories than bzr, but I don't think the
> difference is
> > > enough to matter.
> >
> > Forget a year ago, because as far as bzr is concerned, they got much
> > faster (several times faster for common operations like
> > commit/branch/log/merge).
>
> Sure, that's why I mentioned the time. Bzr used to claim better directory
> renames than hg, but that is not the case since version 9.4. So on and so
> forth. They are both moving targets.

Yes, I agree on the moving targets.

> > bzr is not tied to linux.
>
> It is, in that development is funded by Canonical, but I haven't used either
> on windows, so don't have any idea how they compare in that regard.

Being funded by Canonical does not mean it is tied to linux. For
example, some people are working on handling case insensitive fs,
which is not something a tied-to-linux tool would care about. That's
not something we care about, though.

Both hg and bzr are developed mainly on linux, by linux developers
(typically, the fact that none of them have an official, complete GUI
shows that they were not born on windows). bzr works as well on
windows as it does on linux (I use bzr on windows for the numscons
project, for example), but AFAIK, so does mercurial, so this is not an
important point.

> Hg has always recommended a similar process: clone the repository, push your
> changes to the clone, fix what needs fixing, and commit. It's not an atomic
> operation, though. I don't know where things are in that regard at the
> moment.

The point is really about the one operation; otherwise, any DVCS can
do it. Honestly, I do not find it such a useful feature, but maybe it
shows when used by many different people ?

IMHO, the only really important points are how to convert the current
history, and trac integration. All other differences look quite minor
to me.

David