[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

David M. Cooke cookedm@physics.mcmaster...
Sat Jan 5 13:08:46 CST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:58 , Fernando Perez wrote:

> My vote so far is for hg, for performance reasons but also partly
> because sage and sympy already use it, two projects I'm likely to
> interact a lot with and that are squarely in line with the
> ipython/numpy/scipy/matplotlib world.  Since they went first and made
> the choice, I'm happy to let that be a factor in my decision.  I'd
> rather use a tool that others in the same community are also using,
> especially when the choice is a sound one on technical merit alone.
>
> Just my 1e-2...

+1 on mercurial. It's what I use these days (previously, I used darcs,
which I still like for its patch-handling semantics, but its
dependence on Haskell, and the dreaded exponential-time merge are a
bit of a pain).

One thing that can help is an official Mercurial mirror of the
subversion repository. IIRC, sharing changegroups or pulling patches
between hg repos requires that they have a common ancestor repo (as
opposed to two developers independently converting the svn repo).