[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jan 5 13:15:41 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 12:08 PM, David M. Cooke <cookedm@physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:58 , Fernando Perez wrote:
>
> > My vote so far is for hg, for performance reasons but also partly
> > because sage and sympy already use it, two projects I'm likely to
> > interact a lot with and that are squarely in line with the
> > ipython/numpy/scipy/matplotlib world.  Since they went first and made
> > the choice, I'm happy to let that be a factor in my decision.  I'd
> > rather use a tool that others in the same community are also using,
> > especially when the choice is a sound one on technical merit alone.
> >
> > Just my 1e-2...
>

> +1 on mercurial. It's what I use these days (previously, I used darcs,
> which I still like for its patch-handling semantics, but its
> dependence on Haskell, and the dreaded exponential-time merge are a
> bit of a pain).

Regarding the 'record' capapbilities of darcs which were indeed very
nice, here's something that was recently mentioned on the sage list:

"""
I noticed that Mercurial 0.9.5 has a "record" extension that mimics the
darcs record functionality of interactively asking what changes you want
to commit out of a file.  I know there was discussion of this a while ago.

Reference:

http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2007-October/015150.html
under the New extensions heading.  See also
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/RecordExtension

Anyways, I'm just posting this as an FYI.  It might be nice to expose
this functionality to sage, if we haven't already.

Thanks,

Jason
"""

Cheers,