[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Sat Jan 5 15:00:21 CST 2008

David M. Cooke wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:58 , Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>> My vote so far is for hg, for performance reasons but also partly
>> because sage and sympy already use it, two projects I'm likely to
>> interact a lot with and that are squarely in line with the
>> ipython/numpy/scipy/matplotlib world.  Since they went first and made
>> the choice, I'm happy to let that be a factor in my decision.  I'd
>> rather use a tool that others in the same community are also using,
>> especially when the choice is a sound one on technical merit alone.
>>
>> Just my 1e-2...
>>

> +1 on mercurial. It's what I use these days (previously, I used darcs,
> which I still like for its patch-handling semantics, but its
> dependence on Haskell, and the dreaded exponential-time merge are a
> bit of a pain).

I don't think it is time to move wholesale to something like Mercurial
or bzr.   I would prefer it if all of the Enthought-hosted projects
moved to the (new) system at once,  which is not going to happen in the
short term (but long term of course it's an open question).

But, having an official mirror is a useful thing to explore.

I suspect there are others with serious reservations about jumping off
of SVN just now (just when a lot of people have finally figured out how
to use it).  If there is an Hg mirror that allows other to use mercurial
at the same time then that sounds like a good idea to me.

-Travis O.