[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Sat Jan 5 17:55:00 CST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 8:25 AM, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> I recall something you said to David last week, regarding merges with
> SVN: that a person never knows how to do it until *after* you've done
> it!  We often make branches in scipy and numpy, and stand a lot to
> gain from a distributed RCS.
>
> Once a person knows how to use SVN, it doesn't take much effort at all
> to learn bzr or hg (even the commands are often the same).  The main
> change is a mind-shift: that branches are now a lot friendlier, and
> that they are accessable to everybody.

I understand that DVCS's do merging better.  But what I don't really
understand is why this is an inherent advantage of DVCS.   Isnt it
just a matter of the current crop of DVCS's implementing a better
merge algorithm than SVN?  The SVN guys seem to be competent, so if
you just give them time surely they will eventually incorporate these
better merging algorithms into SVN.  Who wouldn't want better merging?

--bb