[Numpy-discussion] parallel numpy (by Brian Granger) - any info?

Mon Jan 7 22:58:11 CST 2008

Andrew Straw wrote:
> dmitrey wrote:
>
>> The only one thing I'm very interested in for now - why the most
>> simplest matrix operations are not implemented to be parallel in numpy
>> yet (for several-CPU computers, like my AMD Athlon X2).
>>
> For what it's worth, sometimes I *want* my numpy operations to happen
> only on one core. (So that I can do more important stuff with the others.)

I have not investigated really deeply, but matlab, at least the version
I tried, had the choice between multi-core and mono-core (at runtime).
Personally, I have not been really impressed by the speed enhancement:
nothing scientific, but I tried it on several of my old matlab scripts
(I rarely use matlab since I am using numpy), and for some things it was
a bit faster, for some a bit slower. But the multi-core support was said
to be experimental for that version (it was not enabled by default for
sure).

cheers,

David