[Numpy-discussion] how to work with mercurial and numpy right now

Tue Jan 8 06:16:29 CST 2008

David M. Cooke wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008, at 04:36 , David Cournapeau wrote:
>

>> Ondrej Certik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> if you want to play with Mercurial now (without forcing everyone else
>>> to leave svn), I suggest this:
>>>
>>> http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/hgsvn
>>>
>>> I tried that and it works. It's a very easy way to create a hg mirror
>>> at your computer. And then you can take this
>>> as the official upstream repository (which you don't have write
>>> access
>>> to). Whenever somone commits
>>> to the svn, you just do hgpullsvn and it updates your mercurial repo.
>>>
>>> Then you just clone it and create branches, for example the scons
>>> branch can be easily managed like this.
>>> Then you prepare patches, against your "official local mercurial
>>> mirror", using for example
>>> "hg export", or something, those patches should be possible to apply
>>> against the svn repository as well.
>>> You sent them for review and then (you or someone else) commit them
>>> using svn, then you'll "hgpullsvn" your local mercurial mirror and
>>> merge the changes to all your other branches.
>>>

>> The main problem if this approach is that it is quite heavy on the svn
>> server; that's why it would be better if the mirrors are done only
>> once,
>> and are publicly available, I think. Besides, it is easier (and
>> faster)
>> to do the mirrors locally (or from the file:// method, or from a svn
>> dump; both mercurial and bzr have methods to import from those)
>>

> At least for mercurial's convert command, it's a one-time thing
It's a one-time thing per person. If many people do it, I am just afraid
it will overload the servers. Since several people seemed interested in
mercurial, it may make sense to have a public repository.
> AFAIK, all the tools can specify a svn revision to start from, if you
> don't need history (or just recent history).

Are you sure ? bzr-svn does not do it (logically, since bzr-svn can
pull/push), and I don't see any option from the convert extension from
mercurial. I don't have hgpullsvn at hand, I don't remember having seen
the option either.

David