[Numpy-discussion] parallel numpy (by Brian Granger) - any info?

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@bioinformed.com> bioinformed@gmail....
Tue Jan 8 09:22:57 CST 2008

On 1/8/08, Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have AMD processor so I guess I should use ACML somehow instead.
> > However, at 1st I would prefer my code to be platform-independent, and
> > at 2nd unfortunately I haven't encountered in numpy documentation (in
> > website scipy.org and numpy.scipy.org) any mention about how to use
> > numpy multithreading at all (neither MKL nor ACML).
>

> MKL does the multithreading on its own for level 3 BLAS instructions
> (OpenMP). For ACML, the problem is that AMD does not provide a CBLAS
> interface and is not interested in doing so. With ACML, the compilation
> fails with the current Numpy, but hopefully with Scons it will work, at
> least for the LAPACK part.

[..]

That is news to me.  I compile NumPy with ACML regularly.  I haven't tried
with the current trunk but it worked recently.  I have not tried the
parallel versions, though.

-Kevin