[Numpy-discussion] parallel numpy - any info?

Ray Schumacher subscriber100@rjs....
Tue Jan 8 09:31:11 CST 2008

At 04:27 AM 1/8/2008, you wrote:
>    4. Re: parallel numpy (by Brian Granger) - any info?
>       (Matthieu Brucher)
>From: "Matthieu Brucher" <matthieu.brucher@gmail.com>
>
>MKL does the multithreading on its own for level 3 BLAS instructions
>(OpenMP).

There was brief debate yesterday among the Pythonians in the lab as
to whether the MKL operates outside of the GIL, but it was general
understanding that it does.

It is still unclear to me whether Python/numpy compiled with MKL
would be freely re-distributable, as the MSVC version is.

>Then you must use tools like the processing module, MPI, ...

I have been using shared memory and numpy with good results lately on
Win32 with tagged memory.
http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-October/029505.html

On *NIX,  arrayfrombuffer(), mmap and MAP_SHARED, or POSH
http://poshmodule.sourceforge.net/
seem like the ticket.

Whatever happened to pyGA?
GA http://www.emsl.pnl.gov/docs/global/ is still around.