[Numpy-discussion] def of var of complex

Tue Jan 8 22:59:46 CST 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> I noticed that if I generate complex rv i.i.d. with var=1, that numpy says:
>>
>> var (<real part>) -> (close to 1.0)
>> var (<imag part>) -> (close to 1.0)
>>
>> but
>>
>> var (complex array) -> (close to complex 0)
>>
>> Is that not a strange definition?
>>

> 2. Take a slightly less naive formula for the variance which seems to show up in
> some texts:
>
>    mean(absolute(z - mean(z)) ** 2)
>
> This estimates the single parameter of a circular Gaussian over RR^2
> (interpreted as CC). It is also the trace of the covariance matrix above.

I tend to favor this interpretation because it is used quite heavily in
signal processing applications where "circular" Gaussian random
variables show up quite a bit --- so much so, in fact, that most EE
folks would expect this as the output and you would have to explain to
them why there may be other choices that make sense.

So, #2 is kind of a nod to the signal-processing community (especially
the communication section).

But, there is also merit to me in #3 (although it may be harder to
explain why the variance returns a complex number --- if that is what
you meant).

-Travis O.