[Numpy-discussion] numpy.linalg.eigvals crashes whn calling lapack_lite.pyd

Tue Jan 8 23:09:37 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 6:49 PM, Simon <simonpy2008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newbie here. Trying to generate eigenvalues from a matrix using:
>
> print numpy.linalg.eigvals(matrix)
>
> This works with small matrices, say 5 x 5, but causes python to crash on
> larger
> matrices, say 136 x 136, which is not really very large.
>
> Setup:
>
> Win XP SP2
> Python 2.5.1 (from .msi)
> numpy 1.0.4 (from .msi)
> pywin32-210 (from .exe installer)
>

> When running from either the command line or the Pythonwin IDE, python.exe
> crashes. The info in the microsoft error reporting thingy is:
>
> AppName: python.exe
> ModName: lapack_lite.pyd
> Offset: 000b7434
>
> Stepping through linalg.py using Pythonwin, I get as far as line 418 (in
> the
> eigvals function):
>
>        results = lapack_routine('N', 'N', n, a, n, wr, wi,
>                                 dummy, 1, dummy, 1, work, lwork, 0)
>
> and then python.exe crashes.
>
> That's the extent of my troubleshooting skills at this stage. I haven't
> worked
> out if there is a specific matrix size where this starts occurring. Where
> to now?

Probably just a different execution path depending on matrix size. But I am
not that familiar with lapack_lite.

> I can send the actual data for the matrix if need be, but as it's very
> large I
> thought it would mess up the list if I posted it here.

This sounds like a compiler and/or architecture incompatibility since ATLAS
doesn't seem to be part of the mix. What is your hardware?

Chuck