[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] numscons 0.3.0 release

Sat Jan 26 02:09:25 CST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 11:30 PM, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:

<snip>

> > It varies with the Linux distro. The usual convention (LSB, I think)
> > uses /usr/local/lib64, but Debian and distros derived from Debian use
> > /usr/local/lib instead. That's how it was the last time I checked,
> > anyway. I don't know what Gentoo and all the others do.
> Grrr, that's annoying. Do you know any resource which has clear
> explanation on that ? (reading LSB documents do not appeal much to me,
> and I would only do that as a last resort).

The Debian folks will tell you that they did it right and everyone else
screwed up horribly O_o. Anyway, it  looks like they put the 32 bit stuff in
lib32, so if a distro has a lib32, then you can figure the 64 bit stuff is
in lib. Those are the only two variations I know of. What 64 bit windows
does, I have no idea.

32-bit (compat) libraries   64-bit (native) libraries   Fedora Core /lib/,
/usr/lib/   /lib64/, /usr/lib64/  Debian /lib32/, /usr/lib32/   /lib/,
/usr/lib/
Chuck