[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] numscons 0.3.0 release

Sat Jan 26 02:05:13 CST 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2008 11:30 PM, David Cournapeau
> <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp <mailto:david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>>
> wrote:
>
>     Charles R Harris wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>     >
>     > It varies with the Linux distro. The usual convention (LSB, I think)
>     > uses /usr/local/lib64, but Debian and distros derived from
>     Debian use
>     > /usr/local/lib instead. That's how it was the last time I checked,
>     > anyway. I don't know what Gentoo and all the others do.
>     Grrr, that's annoying. Do you know any resource which has clear
>     explanation on that ? (reading LSB documents do not appeal much to me,
>     and I would only do that as a last resort).
>

> The Debian folks will tell you that they did it right and everyone
> else screwed up horribly O_o.
Well, as arrogant as debian folks may be, they are almost always right
:) I will take a look at the debian maintainer guide, then.
> Anyway, it  looks like they put the 32 bit stuff in lib32, so if a
> distro has a lib32, then you can figure the 64 bit stuff is in lib.
> Those are the only two variations I know of. What 64 bit windows does,
> I have no idea.
Windows and 64 bits, here is something which scares me. I also have to
see how solaris does it. But anyway, since vmware can run 64 bits OS on
my 32 bits linux, things should be easier.

Thanks for the info,

David