[Numpy-discussion] Read-only mercurial mirror of numpy trunk available

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Mon Jan 28 07:22:15 CST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 6:57 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> la, 2008-01-19 kello 14:15 +0900, David Cournapeau kirjoitti:
> > Pauli Virtanen wrote:

> > > Nice!
> >
> > Don't hesitate to put more info there. Although I would consider myself
> > relatively proficient with bzr, mercurial has some few important
> > differences that I am still not sure to understand (in particular the
> > lack of "one branch is one directory" concept)
>
> I think I don't have edit access to the Trac Wiki...
>
> Anyway, it'd be useful to also have either hg or bzr read-only mirror of
> scipy too!
>
> I'd actually like to see these mirrors hosted at some single "official"
> place (svn.scipy.org?): If everyone maintains their own SVN mirror, the
> resulting repositories typically turn out "unrelated" as far as the SCM
> programs are concerned (because of different start points, different
> conversion tools etc.), and one cannot easily pull and merge changes
> from other people's repositories.
>
> > > hgsvn makes only repository-local svn tags. They go in .hg/localtags,
> > > from where they can be copied manually. I don't think hgsvn has an
> > > option to put the tags into .hgtags (from where they would be passed on
> > > automatically when the repository is cloned).
> >
> > Since tags seem to be handled through plain files in mercurial, would
> > copying localtags into .hgtags work ?
>
> It will work by just pasting the contents of localtags to .hgtags and
> committing. However, this would need to be done periodically and would
> pollute the history a bit.

Better solution is to keep the tags in a Mercurial Queues patch, as I did.

See for yourself:

http://hg.certik.cz/numpy-hg/

BTW this mirror is much faster for me.

You can browse the full history with tags online, you can clone like this:

hg clone http://hg.certik.cz/numpy-hg/

It will convert the MQ patch to a regular commit, so you won't see the
difference. But I, on the server, will just do:

$ hg qpop
Patch queue now empty
$ hg pull
pulling from /home/ondra/scipy/trunk
searching for changes
no changes found
$ hg qpush
applying tags.patch
Now at: tags.patch

Then I'll copy the updated localtags to .hgtags and do:

$ hg qrefresh

and that's it. No history pollution. If I decide I don't wont't the
tags, I just do "hg qpop" and tags are gone.

Ondrej