[Numpy-discussion] problem with NumPy test harness in 1.1.0?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jul 1 18:24:53 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 17:53, David Brown <dbrown@ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> Our code depends on NumPy and we have been taking advantage of the
> NumPy test harness
> to create test scripts for new features as we develop them. As
> recently as version 1.1.0.dev5064
> we had no problem running our tests from the directory in which they
> live, e.g.:
>
> python test_script.py
>
> .....<much output>
>
> .
> Ran 10 tests in 0.397s
>
> OK
>
> However, with the released version NumPy 1.1.0 none of our tests work
> any longer and instead we get this
> error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "test_mfio.py", line 426, in <module>
>     NumpyTest().run()
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/testing/
> numpytest.py", line 655, in run
>     testcase_pattern=options.testcase_pattern)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/testing/
> numpytest.py", line 575, in test
>     level, verbosity)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/testing/
> numpytest.py", line 453, in _test_suite_from_all_tests
>     importall(this_package)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/testing/
> numpytest.py", line 681, in importall
>     for subpackage_name in os.listdir(package_dir):
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''
>
> Looking through the archives I have found a reference to the same
> error at
> http://www.nabble.com/NumpyTest-problem-td17603890.html.
>
> However, this thread is focused on the use of NumpyTest for test
> scripts within the NumPy source tree and the suggestions
> do not seem to apply to our situation.
>
> My question is whether using NumpyTest for our own tests is
> considered to be a proper application of the test module.
> If not why not?

You should migrate your tests to some other test runner. NumpyTest and
NumpyTestCase will be deprecated in numpy 1.2 and removed as early as
numpy 1.3. They were never particularly intended to be used outside of
numpy and scipy. We are migrating to using nose as our test runner so
we do not have to maintain our own; it's not our core competency. As
you can see.

> If it is, is there some modification we can make to our tests to make
> them work with NumpyTest as it is now configured?

Try NumpyTest().test(level=11, all=False)

> Or is this possibly a bug in NumPyTest?

Possibly a bug.

--
Robert Kern