[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" is slow

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Jul 3 02:06:14 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 18:32, Andrew Dalke <dalke@dalkescientific.com> wrote:
> Why does numpy/__init__.py need to import all of these other modules
> and submodules?  Any chance of cutting down on the number, in order
> to improve startup costs?

Can you try the SVN trunk? In another thread (it must be "numpy
imports slowly!" week), David Cournapeau found some optimizations that
could be done that don't affect the API. They seem to cut down my
import times (on OS X) by about 1/3; on his Linux machine, it seems to
be more. I would be interested to know how significantly it improves
your use case.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."