[Numpy-discussion] Python ref count leak in numpy

Michael Abbott michael@araneidae.co...
Fri Jul 4 14:37:12 CDT 2008

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:51:19 +0000, Michael Abbott wrote:
> > I hope this is going to the right place.  I've tried to submit a Trac
> > ticket at http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ but unfortunately it
> > won't let me log in, even though I've registered and successfully logged
> > in as a SciPy user!  Grr.
> Logged on the scipy.org wiki, or on the Trac? Numpy Trac, Scipy Trac and
> the scipy.org website all require separate registrations.

Well.  Bear with me...

First the web sites.  I can find three different websites that appear to
be relevant to NumPy.  Let's take a look, shall we?

1. http://numpy.scipy.org

This is the first link on Google and appears to be the proper home of
Numpy ... but although there's an extended essay on what Numpy is, and
there are links to download the current version and to trelgol.com
(bizzarely blocked by my employers!), there are no development resources
there.  Oh, tell a lie: there's an e-mail address for this mailing list,
but no links to the sign-on page or the archives.

2. http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/

As the downloads are hosted here, this must be the proper home?  Evidently
not.

Ok, back to Google.

3. http://www.scipy.org/NumPy

Oh, that's odd.  We're back on scipy.org, but in a different place.  How
very strange.  Well, at least there's a Mailing Lists link ... and where
do bugs go?  Developer Zone?  Ok.

FINALLY I find out where the current SVN branch is hosted.  Good grief.
Now to report my bug...

Evidently I go to NumPy Developer's wiki (interesting -- is it Numpy or
NumPy?) at http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy and register by following
the link to "register first" at ... wait for ... at

	http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/register

Notice that there is no numpy in that URL?

When I finish registering (I notice with surprise that there's no e-mail
for any notification, validation or lost password recovery; that's a
shame), I'm taken to http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy , which is
hardly surprising, but very confusing -- I wrote my ticket but finally
noticed that I was on the SciPy tracker before submitting it.

Earlier I'm sure I found text on the Developer Zone page to the effect
that only one login was required.  I can't find it now, maybe it's been
edited, or I'm looking in the wrong place.  Anyhow, the fact remains that
there is no link to the numpy registration page.

Well well well.  If I manually edit the link (Trac won't actually let me
visit the SciPy registration page anymore, oddly enough) to

	http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/register

then I get a new registration page.  And, remarkably, it works (though
giving separate passwords for the two logins creates its own headaches
with Firefox).

Ah well.  Some work needed on the web sites I guess...

Thanks for entering my ticket.  I've managed to register now.