[Numpy-discussion] Debian: numpy not building _dotblas.so

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jul 7 11:24:22 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:31, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:

>> The problem is with this patch:
>>
>> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/3854
>>
>> and the question that we have is:
>>
>> <doko> I'd like to know, if the code was changed to only work with
>> atlas, or if was never working. if it's the latter, then we should use
>> atlas
>
> _dotblas depends on cblas, not blas. IIRC, Robert said that using the
> cblas interface around an existing blas (for the case where ATLAS is
> not available) would not be effective because of change of row/column
> order. It may be worth checking that it is indeed not useful from a
> speed point of view.

I was probably talking out of my ass at the time. Fortran BLAS does
have flags to handle any combination of transposition. The cblas
interface just picks the right ones. We probably should relax our
assumption that only ATLAS provides a cblas interface. It's not as
trivial as just reverting that changeset, though.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco