[Numpy-discussion] Debian: numpy not building _dotblas.so

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Tue Jul 8 08:06:00 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Tiziano Zito <opossumnano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi numpy-devs, I was the one reporting the original bug about missing ATLAS
> support in the debian lenny python-numpy package. AFAICT the source
> python-numpy package in etch (numpy version 1.0.1) does not require
> atlas to build
> _dotblas.c, only lapack is needed. If you install the resulting binary
> package on a
> system where ATLAS is present, ATLAS libraries are used instead of plain lapack.
> So basically it was already working before the check for ATLAS was
> introduced into
> the numpy building system. Why should ATLAS now be required?
>
>> It's not as trivial as just reverting that changeset, though.
> why is that? I mean, it was *working* before...

So just removing the two lines from numpy seems to fix the problem in
Debian. So far all tests seem to run both on i386 and amd64, both with
and without atlas packages installed. And it is indeed faster with the
altas packages instaled, yet it doesn't need them to build. I think
that's what we want, no?

Ondrej