[Numpy-discussion] alterdot and restoredot

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Wed Jul 9 02:53:48 CDT 2008

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:03:52 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 14:01, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know what to write for a doc string for alterdot and
>> restoredot.
>
> Then maybe you're the best one to figure it out. What details do you
> think are missing from the current docstrings? What questions do they
> leave you with?

I have the following for starters:

- Are these meant as user-visible functions?

- Should the user call them? When? What is the advantage?

- Are BLAS routines used by default? (And if not, why not?)

- Which operations do the functions exactly affect?
  It seems that alterdot sets the "dot" function slot to a BLAS
  version, but what operations does this affect?

	Pauli