[Numpy-discussion] Another reference count leak: ticket #848

Wed Jul 9 08:55:08 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Michael Abbott <michael@araneidae.co.uk>
wrote:

> There are three separate patches in this message plus some remarks on
> "stealing" reference counts at the bottom.

<snip>

> I really don't think that this design of reference count handling in
> PyArray_FromAny (and consequently PyArray_CheckFromAny) is a good idea.
> Unfortunately these seem to be part of the published API, so presumably
> it's too late to change this?  (Otherwise I might see how the
> corresponding patch comes out.)

There was a previous discussion along those lines initiated by, ahem,
myself. But changing things at this point would be too much churn. Better, I
think, to get these things documented and the code cleaned up.

Chuck