[Numpy-discussion] RFC: A proposal for implementing some date/time types in NumPy

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Fri Jul 11 12:01:58 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Francesc Alted <falted@pytables.org>
wrote:

> A Friday 11 July 2008, Pierre GM escrigué:
>
> > Our approach for dealing with dates was to translate them into
> > integers through a particular class (Date).
>
> That's very interesting.  We will have a look at your implementation and
> see if we can reuse code/ideas.  I suppose this code in your TimeSeries
> module, right?

Yes, in the src directory (c_dates.c).
In addition, we have a DateArray class, which implements an array of Dates
(you didn't see that coming...) and whose dtype is int64.

The reason why we wanted to stick to ints was to permit a direct
correspondence index<->date in an array. If you know the first date and the
timestep, you can get the date corresponding to any element of your series,
and vice-versa.