[Numpy-discussion] NumPy date/time types and the resolution concept

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Tue Jul 15 10:36:16 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 07:30:09 Francesc Alted wrote:
> Maybe is only that.  But by using the term 'frequency' I tend to think
> that you are expecting to have one entry (observation) in your array
> for each time 'tick' since time start.  OTOH, the term 'resolution'
> doesn't have this implication, and only states the precision of the
> timestamp.

OK, now I get it.

> I don't know whether my impression is true or not, but after reading
> about your TimeSeries package, I'm still thinking that this expectation
> of one observation per 'tick' was what driven you to choose
> the 'frequency' name.

Well, we do require a "one point per tick" for some operations, such as
conversion from one frequency to another, but only for TimeSeries. A Date
Array doesn't have to be regularly spaced.